Close this search box.
Blog » Retirement » 25 Tax Deductions You Can Claim as a Freelancers

25 Tax Deductions You Can Claim as a Freelancers

Just because freelancers have flexibility and independence doesn’t mean that we don’t get stressed out. Even though we have the option to work from home and set our own hours doesn’t mean that we can slack off. We still have deadlines to meet, clients to network with, and make sure that we get paid on-time. On top of that, we’re also responsible for filing our own taxes and may not be aware of all the tax deductions we quality for.

While tax season can add stress to our already busy schedules, it’s not all doom and gloom. If you stay organized and are prepared in advance, this time of year can go a whole lot more smoothly. And, you may be even to reduce your taxable income by knowing which expenses you can deduct.

Before we jump into this list of 25 tax deduction that you can claim as a freelancer, here are a couple of very important tips.

The first is that you should still hire an accountant or trained tax professional, . They’re the experts in tax deductions and they’ll inform you on what you can deduct and what you can not. They may even find some additional deductions that you never thought of. If you don’t have an accountant lined-up then check out “3 Ways To Find a Good Accountant in 2016.”

The other pointer is that most deductions will be filed using Form 1040, Schedule C. Keep that in mind as you continue reading because we’ll be discussing where to include that deduction on your form.

1. Office Space

This is probably the biggest deduction that you’ll claim as a freelancer and do you most of your work from home – whether you own or rent. This can be deducted by filling out Line 30 of Form 1040, Schedule C. In the past this was a complicated process, but the IRS has simplified this deduction in 2010. According to the IRS, you can claim “$5 a square foot for up to 300 square feet.”

Keep in mind, though, that you don’t want to include lines 16, 25 and 27 as well. These expenses all go in line 30.

2. Office Supplies

You can deduct all of your office materials like pens, paper, books, and printer cartridges in line 18. Keep this in mind whenever purchasing items for the office since you’ll want to keep the receipts so that you can add up the total.

3. Hardware and Software

What if you use your personal laptop, computer, smartphone, or tablet for work too? You may be able to deduct those gadgets – along with hardware that is relevant to your business like a camera. Even services like Netflix and software can be deducted as long as you prove that it’s needed to stay relevant in your industry.

As a rule of thumb, don’t try to fool the IRS. But, if you keep a written log that details that you do use hardware and software for work too, you claim the business percentage. Before doing this, you should definitely double-check with your CPA.

4. Health Insurance

As the IRS states, “If you are self-employed, the IRS wants you to know about a tax deduction generally available to people who are self-employed.” This deduction would be for any medical, dental, or long-term care insurance premiums that you’ve paid. This is only possible if you had a net profit from self-employment. In most cases you’ll be able to claim this deduction on Line 1 of Schedule A form 1040.

5. Insurance Premiums

Speaking of insurance, freelancers can also claim insurance premiums like liability insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, malpractice insurance, or insurance that covers you from fire, flood, storm, or theft.

6. Travel Expenses

If you’ve had to travel for business, like attending an industry event or meeting with a client, you may be eligible to deduct items lie flights, hotel rooms, car rentals, and even dry cleaning. If you also plan a vacation around your business trip you can only claim the portions of the trip that were business related.

This information would be filled out in Line 24A.

7. Advertising

If you purchased ads, business cards, brochures, sponsorships, or swag that has your business name, you can deduct these advertising expenses on Line 8. Online advertising can also be deducted.

8. Membership Dues

If you belong to an organization that assists with your freelance career and you’re required to to pay membership fees, then this can be deducted.

9. Internet and Phone Bills

Even if you use your internet or cellphone plans for both personally and professionally, you can deduct a percentage of these expenses on your taxes.

10. Legal and Professional Services

Have you visited a lawyer or hired an accountant this year? You can deduct the cost of these services in Line 17. And, even the individual who helped prepare your taxes can be included as well.

11. Interest

If you’ve taken out a loan to help expand your business, you can claim that on Line 16. Credit and debit cards can also be added. But, to make organization easier, you should have a personal credit card and another one strictly for business.

12. Transaction Fees

Do you get paid through PayPal or another third party that takes out a transaction fee? You can add those fees together and include them on Line 27A. If you sell products on sites like Etsy, you can also add that here.

13. Depreciation

The IRS describes this as “an income tax deduction that allows a taxpayer to recover the cost or other basis of certain property. It is an annual allowance for the wear and tear, deterioration, or obsolescence of the property.” This can be an important deduction for freelancers who make a living using expensive equipment like laptops and cameras.

14. Contract Labor

If you hired any other independent contractors or freelancers, like a web designer for your site, the graphic designer behind your business cards, or the content writer for your blog, then you can include these costs on Line 11.

15. Self Employment Tax Deduction

If you’re still filing a Form 1040 Schedule C, then you can deduct half the cost of Social Security and Medicare taxes. If you’re freelancing career is fairly established, then you may want to eventually consider forming a LLC since this could lower the amount of self-employment taxes that you’re eligible for.

16. Retirement Plan

As a self-employed individual the best option in regards to a retirement plan is a SEP IRA. This plan was designed specifically for the self-employed and small business owners where you can contribute up to $53,000 annually. Best of all, every dollar you contribute is deductible.

17. Professional Development and Educational Expenses

If you attended a conference, enrolled in a class, or participated in a webinar in order to develop your professional skills the IRS clearly states, “If you are self-employed, you must report the cost of your qualifying work-related education on the appropriate form used to report your business income and expenses (generally, Schedule C (Form 1040), Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040), or Schedule F (Form 1040).”

18. Research Materials

Let’s say that you’re a freelancer writer and you’ve just written a book that details the history of frozen pizza. The frozen pizza that you’ve consumed for research purposes can be deducted. Those interviews you conducted with historians and culinary experts and recorded with tools like Call Recorder for Skype are also deductible.

19. Car and Truck Expenses

If you rely on a vehicle for your business then you have the ability to claim expenses like fuel and maintence. There are two basic ways to approach this deduction. The first is to stick with Form 1040, Schedule and multiply the miles you drove this year by by 56.5 cents. The other option is to complete Form 4562, Section B where you can itemize gas and include expenses like insurance, depreciation, and repairs.

20. Unpaid Invoices

This can get a bit tricky, but you do have the opportunity to write off any unpaid invoices from the last year as bad debt. This would go on Line 6 of Schedule C form 1040. The catch is that for you to deduct unpaid invoices, you would have to have claimed this as income.

21. Taxes and Licenses

The IRS allows tax deductions on the following taxes:

  • Real estate only on the property of your business. If you work out of your house then you can only deduct a percentage.
  • Federal unemployment tax.
  • State and local taxes. You should have collected these in Line 1 and from the buyer.

Not all freelancers have to consider licenses, but if you’re in a field that requires you to have an occupational title, such as a lawyer or plumber or investor, then this can be claimed.

22. Repairs and Maintenance

If your computer, camera, or printer broke and you have to repair it, then this would be included on Line 21.

23. Meals

Deducting the costs of business related meals is a pretty common occurrence. However, the IRS has strict and complex guidelines regarding the deduction of meals. If you were to take your client to a business lunch at your favorite neighborhood restaurant, then you could probably write that expense off. If you took a client on a weekend adventure to Vegas, then you probably won’t get as lucky.

24. Online Presence

Some of these expenses may get get placed with advertising deductions, but this is a really sweet deduction that it too good not to mention. If you’re paying a web host for your blog/website or have purchased tools like MailChimp, HootSuite, or LinkedIn to maintain an online presence then you can add these to your tax deductions.

25. Supplies

This only applies to freelancers who are selling products, like clothing, jewelry, or handmade notebooks. This doesn’t not include your inventory. Instead, it’s the what you spent on items to make your products.

About Due’s Editorial Process

We uphold a strict editorial policy that focuses on factual accuracy, relevance, and impartiality. Our content, created by leading finance and industry experts, is reviewed by a team of seasoned editors to ensure compliance with the highest standards in reporting and publishing.

Finance Editor and Writer at Due
Angela Ruth is a financial writer at Due. She has a passion for helping people get out of debt and live a better life.

About Due

Due makes it easier to retire on your terms. We give you a realistic view on exactly where you’re at financially so when you retire you know how much money you’ll get each month. Get started today.


Top Trending Posts

Due Fact-Checking Standards and Processes

To ensure we’re putting out the highest content standards, we sought out the help of certified financial experts and accredited individuals to verify our advice. We also rely on them for the most up to date information and data to make sure our in-depth research has the facts right, for today… Not yesterday. Our financial expert review board allows our readers to not only trust the information they are reading but to act on it as well. Most of our authors are CFP (Certified Financial Planners) or CRPC (Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor) certified and all have college degrees. Learn more about annuities, retirement advice and take the correct steps towards financial freedom and knowing exactly where you stand today. Learn everything about our top-notch financial expert reviews below… Learn More