Close this search box.

Table of Contents

Health Plan Categories


Health Plan Categories, also known as “Metal Categories,” are a method used in the U.S. insurance market, specifically in the Health Insurance Marketplace, to categorize health insurance plans based on the percentage of health care costs they cover. The categories include Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, ranging from least to most coverage respectively. The plans differ by how much the insurer pays versus the insured person, impacting the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs.


The phonetic pronunciation of the keyword “Health Plan Categories” is:Health: /hɛlθ/ Plan: /plæn/ Categories: /ˈkætəˌgoriz/

Key Takeaways

  1. Types of Health Plan Categories: The health plan categories are usually represented by “metal” tiers: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Each category differs depending on how you and the plan would share the costs of your care.
  2. Varied Costs and Coverage: Bronze plans typically have low monthly premiums and high out-of-pocket costs. In contrast, Platinum plans usually have the highest premiums but cover around 90% of your health costs, minimizing your out-of-pocket expenses.
  3. Considerations when Choosing: When choosing a health plan, it’s crucial to consider different factors such as financial situation, health condition, preferred doctors or hospitals, and the medications you take, as the restrictions and coverage can vary across the categories.


Health Plan Categories are of significant importance in business/finance because they provide a structured way to compare and analyze different health insurance plans on the basis of their costs. They include categories like Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, which highlight the percentage costs shared between the insurer and the insured. Understanding these categories allows individuals and businesses to make an informed decision about purchasing a health insurance policy. By considering the cost-sharing ratio, premium amounts, out-of-pocket costs, and potential risks, individuals and companies can align their choice with their health care necessities, budget constraints, and risk tolerance. Consequently, Health Plan Categories support efficient decision-making in financial planning and risk management related to healthcare costs.


The purpose of Health Plan Categories is to distinguish the differences in cost-sharing between various health insurance plan levels. These categories, namely, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum, are primarily used to provide consumers with a generalized understanding of their financial liability in terms of deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance they would have to pay when availing healthcare services. Oftentimes, these categories guide individuals in choosing a healthcare plan that best suits their medical needs and financial capacity. To add more context, the lesser the out-of-pocket costs a plan holder should bear (i.e., the larger the insurance company’s share), the higher the Health Plan Category is. For instance, Platinum plans would cover approximately 90% of healthcare costs, leaving the remaining 10% as the patient’s responsibility. This categorization thus aids in uncomplicating healthcare decisions, allowing individuals to anticipate approximate costs and to select a plan which balances their healthcare service needs with their budget.


1. Bronze Health Plan: One real-world example is the Bronze plan offered under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in the United States. This plan usually has the lowest premiums but the highest costs when you need care. Bronze plans cover about 60% of the total average costs of care, leaving the policyholder to pay for 40%. 2. Silver Health Plan: An example is the Silver plan, also provided under the ACA. This type of plan generally has moderate monthly premiums and moderate costs when you need care. This plan covers about 70% of the total average costs of care. It’s also the benchmark plan used to calculate ACA subsidies. 3. Gold Health Plan: Similar to the Bronze and Silver plans, the Gold plan is another tier under the ACA. It has higher premiums while providing more coverage with lower deductibles and out-of-pocket costs when you need care – up to 80% of the total average costs of care. This plan is ideal for individuals who require frequent medical services or have a chronic health condition.

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

What are Health Plan Categories?
Health Plan Categories, often referred to as metal tiers- Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Catastrophic, are a part of health insurance policies that determine how much costs are covered by the insurance provider and how much is covered by the individual.
What factors influence Health Plan Categories?
Health Plan Categories are mainly determined based on premiums that the insured party pays, out of pocket costs, and expected health care needs.
How does the Bronze Health Plan category work?
Bronze Health Plan category covers about 60% of healthcare costs, while the remaining 40% costs are borne by the insured individual. It has lower premiums but higher out-of-pocket costs.
What does the Silver Health Plan category offer?
The Silver Health Plan category covers about 70% of healthcare costs. The insured individual is responsible for the remaining 30% costs. It is a balance between monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs.
How much cost does the Gold and Platinum Health Plan categories cover?
The Gold Health Plan covers about 80% of healthcare costs, leaving 20% to be covered by the insured individual. The Platinum, on the other hand, covers about 90% of costs, leaving only 10% to be paid by the individual. These plans usually have higher monthly premiums but lower out-of-pocket costs.
Who can avail of the Catastrophic Health Plan category?
Catastrophic Health Plan category is typically available to people under 30 and to some low-income people who are exempt from other ACA requirements. These plans usually have the lowest monthly premiums and the highest out-of-pocket costs.
How can one select the right Health Plan Categories?
Selecting the right Health Plan Category depends on individual healthcare needs and budget. It requires careful consideration of factors such as expected healthcare usage, medication, premiums, and out-of-pocket expenses.

Related Finance Terms

Sources for More Information

About Our Editorial Process

At Due, we are dedicated to providing simple money and retirement advice that can make a big impact in your life. Our team closely follows market shifts and deeply understands how to build REAL wealth. All of our articles undergo thorough editing and review by financial experts, ensuring you get reliable and credible money advice.

We partner with leading publications, such as Nasdaq, The Globe and Mail, Entrepreneur, and more, to provide insights on retirement, current markets, and more.

We also host a financial glossary of over 7000 money/investing terms to help you learn more about how to take control of your finances.

View our editorial process

About Our Journalists

Our journalists are not just trusted, certified financial advisers. They are experienced and leading influencers in the financial realm, trusted by millions to provide advice about money. We handpick the best of the best, so you get advice from real experts. Our goal is to educate and inform, NOT to be a ‘stock-picker’ or ‘market-caller.’ 

Why listen to what we have to say?

While Due does not know how to predict the market in the short-term, our team of experts DOES know how you can make smart financial decisions to plan for retirement in the long-term.

View our expert review board

About Due

Due makes it easier to retire on your terms. We give you a realistic view on exactly where you’re at financially so when you retire you know how much money you’ll get each month. Get started today.

Due Fact-Checking Standards and Processes

To ensure we’re putting out the highest content standards, we sought out the help of certified financial experts and accredited individuals to verify our advice. We also rely on them for the most up to date information and data to make sure our in-depth research has the facts right, for today… Not yesterday. Our financial expert review board allows our readers to not only trust the information they are reading but to act on it as well. Most of our authors are CFP (Certified Financial Planners) or CRPC (Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor) certified and all have college degrees. Learn more about annuities, retirement advice and take the correct steps towards financial freedom and knowing exactly where you stand today. Learn everything about our top-notch financial expert reviews below… Learn More