Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) is a corporation based in the U.S. that provides commercial data, analytics, and insights for businesses. It is best known for its D-U-N-S (Data Universal Numbering System) numbers, which are unique identifiers for businesses globally. The company’s information aids in credit analysis, B2B sales and marketing, supply chain management, due diligence and more.
The phonetic pronunciation for “Dun & Bradstreet (D&B)” would be: “duhn and brad – street (dee and bee)”
- Industry Leader: Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) is a globally recognized and established leader in commercial data and analytics. The company provides comprehensive data and information about businesses to help drive better decision-making processes.
- Data & Solutions: D&B offers a range of solutions including risk management, sales & marketing, supply chain management and compliance solutions. They have a vast database of over 330 million business records which they leverage to provide these solutions.
- D-U-N-S Number: D&B is known for their unique D-U-N-S Number (Data Universal Numbering System), a proprietary system for identifying business entities globally. The D-U-N-S Number is used to maintain accurate and reliable business information.
Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) is a crucial entity in business and finance as it provides commercial data, analytics, and insights for businesses. Their D-U-N-S Number, a unique nine-digit identifier for businesses, is used to establish a business credit file, which is often referenced by lenders and potential business partners to help predict the reliability and financial stability of a business. This makes D&B vitally important for companies seeking lending, credit or contracts and for lenders, suppliers and other trade partners in ascertaining creditworthiness. Therefore, D&B effectively facilitates and influences business transaction decisions Worldwide.
Dun & Bradstreet, commonly referred to as D&B, is renowned for its critical role in the world of business and finance, functioning primarily as a business analytics company. The main aim of D&B is to provide commercial data, analytics, and insights for businesses. Their solutions support companies in making informed decisions, mitigating risks, enhancing business performance, and understanding market trends. They focus on empowering clients to manage credit exposure, make strategic growth decisions, and improve performance.D&B’s most known product is the Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS number), a unique nine-digit identification number for each physical location of a business. The DUNS system, used by industries worldwide, gives potential partners and lenders a fast, simple method to assess a company’s credibility and financial stability. Therefore, D&B serves as a vital resource for businesses and institutions by providing relevant commercial data and risk management tools. They play a substantial role in helping businesses establish and maintain creditworthy relationships.
1. A Small Business Loan Inquiry: A small business owner, planning on opening a new location, may need to apply for a business loan to fund the expansion. In deciding whether to approve the loan, the bank may check the business’s credit rating with Dun & Bradstreet (D&B). They’ll consider the D&B PAYDEX Score, which measures the business’s payment performance, and the Financial Stress Score, which predicts the likelihood of business failure, among other factors.2. Supplier Evaluation: A manufacturing company looking for new suppliers would want to assure that the potential partners are credible and reliable. The company could use D&B’s services to assess the credibility of potential vendors. Information such as a potential supplier’s credit history, payment behavior, and overall financial health could play a crucial role in the selection process.3. Cross-border Business: An international corporation aims to expand operations into a foreign market and wants to identify potential distributors or suppliers. Using D&B’s global database, the corporation can gain valuable insight into local companies’ operational histories, financial statuses, credit ratings, and more. This can help the corporation minimize risk and make more informed decisions about their potential partners.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
What is Dun & Bradstreet (D&B)?
Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) is a leading global business services company that provides commercial data and analytics services. They help businesses establish credit history, perform risk assessment, and assist in supply chain management.
What types of services does Dun & Bradstreet offer?
D&B offers a wide range of business services such as credit reporting, risk management, marketing services, supply chain management, and performance analysis among others.
How can Dun & Bradstreet assist in credit decision-making?
D&B provides comprehensive credit reports on businesses which include crucial information such as payment history, financial stability, and business background. This information can greatly assist in making informed credit decisions.
What is a D-U-N-S Number?
A D-U-N-S Number is a unique nine-digit identifier issued by Dun & Bradstreet for each physical location of a business. This number is used to establish a D&B business credit file, which is often referenced by lenders and potential business partners to help predict the reliability and financial stability of a company.
How can I obtain a D-U-N-S Number for my business?
Businesses can obtain a D-U-N-S number directly from the Dun & Bradstreet’s website or through phone. It is usually free of charge but expedited service may require a fee.
How can Dun & Bradstreet services benefit my business?
Using D&B services can deliver several benefits to your business such as establishing business credit, minimizing risk, improving operational efficiency, accelerating revenue, reducing cost, and driving profitable growth.
What does a Dun & Bradstreet report consist of?
A D&B report typically includes information about a company’s payment history, financial status, business background, operational information, details on any liens or judgments and risk rating, among other details.
Is Dun & Bradstreet reliable?
Yes, Dun & Bradstreet is considered reliable as it is a reputable organization that has been around for over 170 years. However, as with any service, it’s recommended that businesses verify information independently to ensure accuracy.
Related Finance Terms
- D&B D-U-N-S Number: A unique nine-digit identifier for businesses used to establish a business credit file, which is often referenced by lenders and potential business partners to help predict the reliability and/or financial stability of the company.
- Business Information Report: A report provided by Dun & Bradstreet that provides a comprehensive view of a business’s financial health.
- Credit Scoring: A predictive analysis conducted by D&B that helps businesses assess credit risk by rating the creditworthiness of potential partners or customers.
- Supplier Evaluation Risk (SER) Rating: A D&B rating that measures the likelihood that a supplier will cease business within the next 12 months.
- Data Cloud: Dun & Bradstreet’s advanced AI-driven platform that delivers business data, analytics, and insights for businesses.