Can Inspirational Quotes Help You in the New Year?
Many of us like inspirational quotes. They provide insight. Sometimes they can even be motivating. But can they help you in the new year?
How Inspirational Quotes Help You
We call them “inspirational” because, well, they are supposed to inspire us. These types of quotes can help you find meaning in what you do and spur you to greater efforts.
Often, these quotes also provide a bit of insight into your life. Not every quote will apply to you and your current life situation. I know that sometimes I hear something and it rolls off. But if I hear the same quote again a few years later, when I’m in a different place, it suddenly strikes me.
In many ways, inspirational quotes are what you make of them. If you are looking for something to hold on to, there’s a good chance you can find it in a well-timed quote.
However, it’s also important to understand that, no matter how inspiring someone (or their quote) can be, a good quote is no substitute for action on your part. These quotes are sometimes little more than platitudes that eventually become cliches. It’s up to you to determine what applies to your life, and how you can use the insights to better your performance.
10 Inspirational Quotes for a New Year
Even though these types of quotes can sometimes be of limited usefulness, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t seek inspiration. In fact, sometimes you just need a little kick to help you remember what you’re working for.
So, as you move into a new year, see if any of these work for you. And if they don’t (or even if they do), share your own favorite inspirational quotes for a new year in the comments below.
- “Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.” — Mother Teresa
- “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to make the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” — Michael Jordan
- “Know where to find the information and how to use it. That’s the secret of success.” — Albert Einstein
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” — Mark Twain
- “You can waste your lives drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” — Shonda Rhimes
- “The most important thing that entrepreneurs should do is pick something they care about, work on it, but don’t actually commit to turning it into a company until it actually works.” — Mark Zuckerberg
- “You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don’t do too many things wrong.” — Warren Buffett
- “Obviously everyone wants to be successful, but I want to be looked back on as being very innovative, very trusted and ethical and ultimately making a big difference in the world.” — Sergey Brin
- “Success isn’t about how your life looks to others, it’s about how it feels to you. We realized that being successful isn’t about being impressive, it’s about being inspired. That’s what it means to be true to yourself.” — Michelle Obama